Rancho Europa, 2083 Lazy Z Road, Nederland, Colorado 80466
Last updated: 4 Feb. 2007
Our 10-acre ranch, abutting Roosevelt Natl. Forest in the high (8200 ft.) foothills of the Front Range, is 9 miles southwest of downtown Boulder and 5 miles east of Nederland. We're on an open, sunny, south-facing part of Winiger Ridge, surrounded by ponderosa pine forest with open fields below. We're on the north side of Lazy Z Rd. (CR97E) just before it ends at a gate (look for our stone monolith); Lazy Z is a graded, dirt county road reached from Boulder or Nederland via Magnolia Dr. Driving time from Boulder is about 30 min. by the direct route, but we recommend an alternate, more level route (8 min. longer, via Nederland) esp. for flat-landers or for anyone during mid-winter, since Magnolia ascends very steeply the shaded, often icy north-facing side of Boulder Canyon. From Denver International Airport, the shortest route is via the new Tollway (E-470 and Northwest Parkway) to Rte. 36 near Flatirons Mall, then through downtown Boulder and up to the Magnolia neighborhood; driving time from DIA is about 70 min. From Denver, the best route is through Arvada or Golden, then up Coal Creek Canyon on C72. From points west, take the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 to cross the Continental Divide and then the Central City Parkway (exit #244) to Central City, then to the Peak-to-Peak Highway in Blackhawk, north toward Nederland and Estes Park, but then turn off on Magnolia Dr. just before Nederland to Lazy Z; driving time from the Tunnel to the ranch is about 70 min. When you arrive, follow our circular drive counterclockwise (i.e. straight ahead) and drive under the house. Alternatively, turn left (where our circular drive joins) and drive straight up (toward but not all the way to the house) 30 feet, then turn right into the (sometimes) cleared parking area.
From Downtown Boulder (Canyon & 11th St.) to Ranch via Magnolia Road
Note: Lower Magnolia is very steep and curvy, not suitable for trailers or other large vehicles. Keep right and drive slowly on curves. Permanent snow and ice in shady spots during winter: chains or studded snow tires required. Impassable or much longer driving time after snow. Check-out alternative route below. 0.0 miles 0 min. Canyon at 11th St., Boulder (drive west) 1.0 1 Boulder City Limits 3.8 5 Tunnel 4.7 7 Magnolia Dr. turnoff (turn left; keep right on curves) 9.4 17 End of pavement (take curves slowly!) 13.7 24 Lazy Z Rd. (turn sharp left from Magnolia at mailboxes) 15.8 28 Chapmans' Rancho Europa (2083 Lazy Z Rd., on left)
Alternate Gentler and/or Mid-Winter Route from Downtown Boulder to Rancho Europa via Nederland
0.0 miles 0 min. Canyon at 11th St., Boulder (drive west) 1.0 1 Boulder City Limits (follow C119 thru Nederland) 3.8 5 Tunnel 4.7 7 Magnolia Dr. turnoff (do NOT take) 8.6 12 Boulder Falls 14.6 20 Barker Dam 16.0 22 Nederland traffic circle (follow 10 o'clock: left, S thru town on C119/C72 S "Peak-to-Peak Hwy.") 16.6 23 Eldora turnoff (do NOT take! Stay on C119/C72 S) 17.9 26 Magnolia Dr. (top of hill, turn left*) 21.3 32 Lazy Z Rd. (bear right as Magnolia turns left) 23.4 36 Chapmans' Rancho Europa (2083 Lazy Z Rd., on left) * The Magnolia sign is not prominent (sometimes stolen, hence not there at all). Magnolia is the FIRST turn-off south of the Sundance Motel, several hundred feet beyond the crest of the hill. It is a well-graded, fairly level dirt/gravel road. Take curves slowly during first mile east of C119.
From Denver Intl. Airport to Rancho Europa (via Tollway and Boulder)
NOTE: This new route opened Nov. 2003; it is generally simpler, safer, and a bit faster than the older routes involving I-70, but it costs $2 at each of 3 toll booths. It is considerably faster (at least 10 min.) for getting to downtown Boulder. 0.0 miles 0 min. DIA parking structure toll booth 3.9 4 Bear right on E-470 Tollway ramp toward Ft. Collins 6.1 6 Pay $2 to person at toll booth 15.8 15 Pay $2 to person at 2nd toll booth 22.1 20 I-25 interchange; go straight under 24.8 23 Pay $2 to person at NW Parkway toll booth 29.8 27 NW Parkway ends; go straight thru 96th St. traffic light 30.3 28 Go straight thru Tape Drive traffic light 30.6 29 Bear right on ramp to US 36 West, toward Boulder* 38.4 36 Take exit ramp to Baseline, keep in left or center lane; turn left at light, then get in right lane of Baseline 38.9 37 Bear right and merge into Broadway; merge into left lane 40.3 40 Turn left (west) at Canyon** 45.1 47 Turn left on Magnolia Rd. (keep right on curves!) 49.8 57 Pavement ends (take curves slowly!) 53.5 63 Turn sharply left on Lazy Z (just beyond mailboxes) 55.6 68 Chapmans' Rancho Europa (2083 Lazy Z Rd., on left) * Alternate route (less steep and curvy) to Rancho Europa: Instead of turning onto Rte. 36, continue straight across Rte. 36 on Interlocken Loop (an extension of NW Parkway) through a couple more lights until it T's at Rte. 128. Turn right (west) and proceed about 3 miles until 128 T's at Rte. 93. Turn left (south) and proceed about 4 miles to the traffic light at C72, then turn sharply right (west). This is the intersection at 44.2 miles in the "Free Route" description below; follow those directions to Rancho Europa, another half-hour on mountain roads (we don't yet have the exact times and miles from Rte. 36 to Rte. 72; probably a few miles and a few minutes longer than going through Boulder). ** This is downtown Boulder. To get to Clark's office (SwRI), drive one block west on Canyon to 11th (take care at Ped Xing), turn right [summer 2006: this is currently blocked by construction, so proceed one block farther west, go around block]. The Exeter Building is ahead on the left (SwRI is Suite 400). Drive one block, turn right on Walnut. Turn right immediately into parking structure. Walk west across 11th at Walnut intersection and enter 11th-St.-facing entrance into Exeter Bldg., take elevator to 4th flr. Walk to end of main corridor.
Free Route: From Denver Intl. Airport to Ranch via Golden and Coal Creek Canyon (also the route from Denver and Colorado Springs via I-25 to I-70)
0.0 miles 0 min. DIA parking structure 4.5 6 Site of now-dismantled old airport toll booth 13.0 14 Pena Blvd. exit onto I-70 west 16.6 18 (Exit ramp for I-270, Rte. 36 to Boulder: do NOT take!) 21.8 22 (Cross I-25 north of downtown Denver)* 30.8 30 Exit onto State Hiway C58 west toward Golden** 35.8 35 C93, turn right at light (save a minute by exiting one interchange earlier, Wash. Ave., Golden: turn right; turn right again at termination with C93, less than 1 mile. Warning: drive <35 mph, speed trap!) 44.2 45 C72 (Coal Creek Canyon Rd., turn left at light) 53.0 57 (Gross Reservoir turnoff: do NOT take!) 55.1 60 Center of Wondervu town, enter Gilpin County 58.5 67 Pinecliffe, RR tracks, re-enter Boulder County 59.3 68 CR97 (100 ft. after fire station, turn R on dirt road) 60.4 71.5 Magnolia Dr. (bear right, drive only few hundred feet) 60.6 72 Lazy Z Rd. (bear right as Magnolia turns left) 62.7 76 Chapmans' Rancho Europa (2083 Lazy Z Rd., on left) Notes: (1) This is the best free route, saving about 10 min. compared with going via downtown Boulder, though traffic delays on I-70 near Denver are likely during rush-hour. (2) In winter, CR97 (a moderately steep, dirt forest road) may be impassable, so continue on Coal Creek Cany. Rd. to the Peak-to-Peak Hwy (C72/C119), turn R at stop sign, then right again after 1 mi. onto Magnolia Drive; Lazy Z bears right after 3.4 miles (this detour will add 10 min. to the trip). * Save 2 min. (in light traffic only, not at rush-hour) by exiting I-70 at Ward Rd. (C72) 7 miles west of I-25, proceed north 1.5 miles until C72 goes left (west) on 64th Ave. (a major intersection); 1 mile later, C72 turns north on Indiana St., at a light [construction of a new shopping center was completed in late 2003], then in 2 mi. diverts NW to the C93 intersection (2nd of 2 closely spaced traffic lights). Proceed straight ahead into Coal Creek Canyon (follow instructions from 44.2 mile mark above). ** Note: there is yet another route, which bypasses Golden: about 1 mile after exiting I70 onto C58 (and a couple of miles before Washington), exit C58 right onto McIntire Road. Proceed north to 54th Ave. (small sign). Turn left (west) and follow to T at Easeley; turn right (north) and proceed about 1 mile to stop sign at 64th. Turn left and follow divided highway (called "64th Pkwy") to traffic light at C93; turn right, drive to 2nd stop-light (C72), turn left and proceed from 44.2 miles directions above.
From Rancho Europa TO Denver Intl. Airport.
UPDATE (2/04): A more reliable, safer, but expensive option is to retrace the two routes involving the NW Parkway and E-470 (tollways, totalling $6) described above *from* DIA. At the 18.5 mile marker below, turn left instead of right on C93. In about 4 miles, turn right on Rte. 128. In about 3 miles, turn left at the light on Interlocken Loop. Proceed down hill through several lights and, in a mile or two, Interlocken Loop becomes the Northwest Parkway. A mile or so after the third toll booth, look for signs for a cloverleaf ramp to DIA; this places you at about the 58 mile marker in the route below. Alternatively, take Lazy Z, Magnolia, and Canyon into downtown Boulder; then follow the directions below "From Downtown Boulder to DIA via NW Pkwy." 0.0 miles 0 min. Depart Rancho Europa west on Lazy Z 2.1 4 Bear left (basically straight ahead) on Magnolia Dr. 2.3 4+ CR97 (turn down to the left) 3.4 8 Coal Crk. Canyon R. (C72; take left fork, turn L) 4.2 9 Cross railroad tracks at Pinecliffe 7.6 16 Center of town of Wondervu 9.7 19 (Gross Reservoir turnoff: do NOT take) 18.5 31 C93 (turn right toward Golden at light)* 26.9 41 C58 (turn left at light)** 31.9 46 I-70 (C58 ends and ramp merges with I-70 east) 40.9 54 (Cross I-25 north of downtown Denver) 49.7 62 Exit I-70 onto Pena Blvd. (airport exit) 58.2 70 Airport entrance; site of old toll booth 62.7 76 Air terminal *Slight shortcut in light traffic: Proceed straight through light and continue to follow C72 to I-70; several turns are detailed in above footnote FROM airport. **Or take shortcut on Washington Ave., an earlier light (now signed), to C58 interchange (see directions FROM airport). Or follow 64th Parkway/Easley/ McIntire route through Arvada, described in footnote to directions FROM airport.
From Points West via Interstate 70, Central City, and Peak-to-Peak Hwy.
0.0 miles 0 min. Exit from eastbound I-70 (exit #243, just after tunnel east of Idaho Springs) toward "Hidden Valley, Central City"; turn left, pass under I-70, turn left again (just past W- bound on-ramp), proceed under "Central City Parkway" sign 8.0 8 Angle past downtown Central City, turn R on Gregory ("To 119") 9.0 11 Where road T's at 119 in downtown Blackhawk, turn L on 119 14.1* 19* Crest (S entrance to Golden Gate St. Park)* 25.7 34 Magnolia Dr. (turn right; Sundance motel is 1000 ft. too far) 29.1 40 Lazy Z Rd. (bear right) 31.2 44 Chapmans' Rancho Europa (2083 Lazy Z Rd., on left)
Older, Longer, More-crowded Route from Points West via I-70 and Blackhawk.
0.0 miles 0 min. Exit from eastbound I-70 (exit #244 from lefthand lane!) on Clear Creek Canyon Rd. toward Golden 2.9 4 Turn left on C119 toward Blackhawk 10.3 15 Blackhawk (Central City turnoff) 15.4* 22* Crest (S entrance to Golden Gate St. Park)* 27.0 37 Magnolia Dr. (turn right, before Sundance motel) 30.4 43 Lazy Z Rd. (bear right) 32.5 47 Chapmans' Rancho Europa (2083 Lazy Z Rd., on left) *Alternate shortcut (but not after snow or heavy rain: Rd 11 along S. Beaver Creek is graded dirt) NOTE: Miles/times from exit #244; subtract 1.3 miles and 3 min. if starting from exit #243 via Central City. 15.4 22 Crest (S entrance to Golden Gate St. Park) 18.7 26 (N entrance to Golden Gate St. Park: do NOT take) 20.0 28 Rd. 11 (exit right just after Milepost 17; 30 mph dirt road) 24.3 36 Rd. 11 ends at Coal Crk. Cany. Rd. after bridge (turn right) 24.9 37 CR97 (before fire station, turn left, drive slowly!) 26.0 40 Magnolia Dr. (turn right) 26.2 41 Lazy Z Rd. (bear right) 28.3 45 Chapmans' Rancho Europa (2083 Lazy Z Rd., on left)
From downtown Boulder to DIA via Northwest Pkwy and E-470 Tollways
0.0 miles 0 min. Broadway at Canyon, drive S, turn left at Baseline (use righthand left-turn lane, then merge right) 1.6 3 Exit righthand ramp onto U.S. 36 toward Denver 9.6 10 Exit to StorageTek Dr. (near Flatirons Mall), turn L at end of ramp 10.9 12 96th (last traffic light), begin Northwest Parkway 15.7 17 1st toll booth, pay $2 24.7 26 2nd toll booth, pay $2 34.5 35 3rd toll booth, pay $2; exit toward Pena in 2 mi. 36.6 37 After bridge, exit ramp toward DIA/Pena East 41.9 43 Enter East Parking area, take ticket 42.4 45 Park in East Garage, DIA
Rancho Europa in winter.
NEARBY MOTEL, HOTEL, B&B, AND RESORT SUGGESTIONS
(1) SUNDANCE LODGE & CAFE. 800-817-3797, 303-258-3797. Closest motel to ranch (about 5 miles). Clean, simple, rustic, nicely appointed, shower (no bathtub), inexpensive (about $50 per night), attached excellent restaurant and bar, exceptional views of Continental Divide peaks from every room and from the outdoor deck of the cafe, horseback riding after Memorial Day. Located in the country, one mile south of Nederland, a few hundred yards north of the intersection of the Peak-to-Peak Highway (C119) and Magnolia Dr. (which leads east towards our ranch).
(2) THE LODGE AT NEDERLAND (Best Western). 800-279-9463, 303-258-9463. Superior accomodations, downtown Nederland, 55 Lakeview Drive at C119. Rates $75 - $95. Wonderful mountain-style rooms, many with fireplace or wood-burning stove. Continental breakfast; half-a-dozen restaurants within walking distance. A little over 6 miles from our ranch. Center-of-mountain-town environment.
(3) ELDORA LODGE AT WONDERVU. 303-642-7181. www.eldoralodge.com. Half-a-mile east of "downtown" Wondervu (a tiny village), high in Coal Creek Canyon, 33247 Rte. 72 (8 miles, 18 min. away from the ranch). This is a very nice, small B&B/motel with great views of the Divide. Mountain-cabin decor. It was under very problematical management during the past decade. But it has changed ownership, management, and name in 2006, and is run by a very nice Polish couple. Until repairs and renovations are complete, expect quirky amenities, modest price. [Mexican restaurant in "downtown" Wondervu and an upscale German restaurant a mile to the east are both recommended.]
(4) NUMEROUS ACCOMODATIONS in (or closer to) Boulder: the elegant old downtown Boulderado Hotel (on the pedestrian mall, 442-4344), the Alps Boulder Canyon Inn (303-444-5445, historic luxury B&B featuring afternoon tea and evening desserts, 12 rooms $122 to $188, toward our ranch in Boulder Canyon), Boulder Mountain Lodge (rustic, by the creek in Fourmile Canyon, 444-0882), the Magpie Inn (downtown B&B, moderately expensive, 449-6528), the large, upscale Millennium hotel (once the Regal Harvest House; in the shopping district east of downtown, tennis courts, 443-3850), the Golden Buff (442-7450, standard in-town Best Western motel), Days Inn (cheaper, 499-4422), and many others. Note: Clark's office is in "downtown", walking distance from Magpie and Boulderado. A new luxury hotel, the St. Julien, located one block west from Clark's office, opened in February 2005.
(5) BED & BREAKFAST PRIVATE HOMES IN NEDERLAND (recommended by Visitor's Bureau some years ago; we haven't checked them out). Jackson's Whispering Pines (258-3210). Lakeview B&B (258-3165). Crum's B&B (258-7922). Betty Bloss (258-7666).
(6) OTHER ACCOMODATIONS IN THE MOUNTAINS. Gold Lake Mountain Resort (very secluded cabins, very expensive, fine restaurant, north of Ward, about 40 min. drive from ranch, 459-3544). A Nook in the Woods B&B (Coal Creek Canyon, 642-3271). Nederhaus Hotel in Nederland at turn-off for Eldora (258-3585), $49 - $119. The Goldminer Hotel (and Rocky Ledge Cabin), in Eldora Natl. Historic District (9 miles from ranch, within walking distance of Hessie trailhead to Continental Divide), 100-year-old B&B with hot tub, $55 to $179 (258- 7770).
Hikes within 40 min. Drive.
Visitor Activity Suggestions.
Clark R. Chapman's Homepage.